In addition to working on keyboarding skills, we have also been developing a project that involves a variety of skills. This is our Wild Thing project and it will soon be published for everyone to see.
We used the Build Your Wild Self website, also a tile on our webmix, to create unique wild characters that were a combination of several different real wild animals. Students then saved their completed image by using the snipping tool because the site doesn't actually allow the image to be saved, only printed. Before they came in for the next class I took each of their images and placed it on a PowerPoint slide and removed the wild thing image background so only the creature was visible. When the students came in they found their slide and set to work to explain each of their wild parts.
They did this by typing the name of the animal into the Google search box on our webmix and then finding usually the first option. I explained how often the first few sites on a search page are advertisements and they should steer clear of those and go below. We looked for the Wikipedia entry for the animal because Wikipedia offers copyright free images that we can use. They learned to right click and copy the image and then right click and paste it onto the slide. (We will learn keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste in the coming months.) We talked about the difference between moving and re-sizing the image, and that we only use corner handles to re-size They also learned to insert a text box for the animal's name. The slide was saved as a jpeg image and will be uploaded to their blog page where they will write a little story about their "wild parts". Stay tuned for that.